Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Offspring

I'm not sure how it happens, well, have the biological bits under control but it's the personalities. You burp them the same, you change their nappies the same way (same brand, too, from memory) - they even eat the same things (that might be due to the lack of culinary genius on their mother's part) but they're so different.

So? How come?

Don't ask me, I'm in awe (well, these two I prepared earlier are mine) and flummoxed by the 'chasmic' differences.

  • Attitude to homework
    Big - "I'll do my homework soon." He does, but soon is a precarious piece of time which means different things to different people. To Mum, it means just after now. To Big, it might mean finding himself at his desk but it's nearer to midnight than midday.
    Small - "What's homework?"
  • Attitude to sport
    Big - Waiting to be subbed on the rugby pitch, focus, angst (he's not on) and complete, unbridled willingness when coach requests he play.
    Small - When asked by his coach if he'd like to go back on the field for the final five minutes, responds "I don't really think so, maybe next week."
  • Mummy's bad hair day
    Big - "You look like you stuck your finger in a light socket."
    Small - "Mummy, you always look beautiful." (Said with straight face.)
  • Where do babies come from
    Big - "Mummy, can you stick babies in the microwave?"
    Small - "Mummy, you don't need to tell me, I know. It's all about Daddy's sperm."
  • School
    Big - Packs his bag and sets off with a spring in his step and his brain in his head.
    Small - "I don't think I'm really suited to school."
  • Mummy noting that's she's going for a jog
    Big - "Have a good run!"
    Small - "Mummy, go back to bed and relax, jogging is stressful."
  • Flatulence
    Well, do you have to ask? A smell's as good as a laugh.

So, anyway, ain't it grand! Would be boring if we were all the same...I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment